Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Cradle to Cradle

As someone who was raised in a waste not want not environment (there is a greenhouse, it has algae) I laughed my way through the description of the drab little 'eco-friendly' book. The writers evoke an almost Soviet austerity, and clearly want to place themselves in the brave new Glastnost of the environmental movement. I can almost hear the authors. We are hedonistic, full of life, let us distance ourselves from those people with their sad soy-based inks and Siberia. We have a happy book, it is in your hands! You can even wash it! Jokes aside, they almost have me. But when they mention that they want to live in a world of abundance and without limits, it sets all my cynic bells ringing. Without limits? Can I fly now too (without an airplane clearly)? How can a closed loop possibly be achieved with unlimited growth? Yes, they mean positive growth, growth of aspects like health, diversity, or intelligence. I like their ideas, I just hope it doesn't hurt too much when they hit that brick wall they seem to be speeding towards. To be fair, it's a very happy book.

No comments: