Monday, September 29, 2008

Technology

We've come a long way since the Industrial Revolution. Each day new technological innovations are created further advancing our society. Even simple things baffle me in the ways they work; not all of us think of how a CD works...how a flat circular disk can hold information, how sound can travel through the wires of headphones, etc. And the technologies we have are far more advanced than these things. I can't even fathom how satellites and cell phones work.

But to say technology will save us, isn't the best idea. I don't think the creation of hybrid cars, and "green" grocery bags will alleviate the environmental harm we've put on the planet. What exactly could be created to prevent further ozone depletion? What can be invented to stop global warming? Technology has only helped advance our environmental harm. Bigger cars, more fuel, plasma televisions, more energy, and so on. I'm not saying technology is a bad thing; I've become conditioned to live with my ipod, cell phone, laptop, television and if either of those were taken away, I don't know how I'd survive. But I don't think it's capable of "saving us"

No comments: