Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Food...

I hate to say this but no way do I think about where my food came from. All I worry about is that it's in the grocery store. I don't think of food and grocery shopping as a form of environmental harm...nor do I really want to because out of guilt I know I'd change what I eat.

On the list we made in class, it was mostly fresh produce and fish. My roommates and I eat A LOT of sushi, and I would think that's the food with the most environmental impact. The fact that I usually only have tuna is worse. Our fisheries are already overused, and my consumption only adds to it. I also eat a lot of fruit, especially the more exotic ones: pineapple, mango, etc. I can't imagine that the price of a pound matches the costs for fuel, shipping, packaging etc.

The fact that I just came home from grocery shopping isn't making this blog post any easier. But to think of it, I didn't buy any mangoes or pineapple, but I did buy apples and nectarines. I did buy a lot of fish too...but I swear I normally never buy this much fish - I just go out to dinner for sushi - which might be worse. I know this whole blog thing (especially this topic) is supposed to make me reconsider my habits as an individual, but I honestly don't think I could change what I buy because of the environmental impact. Everything has an impact, the most I can do is decrease the amount of what I buy, and maybe not to go to dinner for sushi every other day. We'll see how long that lasts...

No comments: